Welcome to Krabi, a stunning province on the Andaman Sea coast of Thailand. Known for its breathtaking landscapes, limestone cliffs, and turquoise waters, Krabi offers a perfect blend of natural beauty and adventure. Whether you’re seeking a relaxing beach getaway, thrilling outdoor activities, or cultural exploration, Krabi has something for everyone.
As you arrive in Krabi, you’ll be greeted by the warm hospitality and charm of the local people. The province is home to picturesque beaches like Railay, Ao Nang, and Klong Muang, where you can unwind on soft sands, swim in clear waters, and soak up the tropical sun. Explore hidden coves and limestone caves, or take a boat tour to the nearby islands for snorkeling, diving, and kayaking adventures.
One of Krabi’s iconic attractions is the towering limestone cliffs that rise majestically from the sea. These dramatic rock formations provide a perfect backdrop for rock climbing enthusiasts, while others can enjoy the stunning views from viewpoints or take a relaxing boat ride to admire the natural wonders.
Krabi also boasts an abundance of natural parks and reserves, including the renowned Ao Nang-Krabi Forest Park and Thung Teao Forest Natural Park. Trek through lush rainforests, discover sparkling emerald pools and waterfalls, and encounter unique flora and fauna.
For those interested in local culture, visit the charming town of Krabi and explore its markets, temples, and museums. Take part in the vibrant night markets, sample delicious street food, and shop for souvenirs and traditional crafts. Don’t miss the opportunity to visit the famous Wat Tham Sua (Tiger Cave Temple), where you can climb the 1,237 steps to the top for panoramic views of the surroundings.
Krabi’s cuisine is another highlight of your visit. Indulge in mouthwatering Thai delicacies, fresh seafood, and tropical fruits. Try local specialties like green curry, pad Thai, and tom yum soup, and immerse yourself in the flavors of the region.
With its stunning natural landscapes, thrilling activities, cultural experiences, and delicious cuisine, Krabi offers a truly unforgettable travel experience. So pack your bags, embrace the laid-back atmosphere, and get ready to create memories that will last a lifetime in this tropical paradise on the Andaman Sea.
Krabi Travel Guide: A Brief History Of Krabi, Thailand
Here’s a brief history of Krabi to provide some context for travelers:
- Early Settlement: The area of Krabi has been inhabited for thousands of years, with evidence of human presence dating back to prehistoric times. The region was home to various indigenous communities, including the Chao Leh (Sea Gypsies) who relied on fishing and maritime activities for their livelihood.
- Ancient Kingdoms: During the 13th century, Krabi was part of the Kingdom of Ligor (also known as Nakhon Si Thammarat), which was a powerful and influential city-state in southern Thailand. The area served as an important trading port and was influenced by the Srivijaya Empire, an ancient maritime kingdom.
- European Influence: In the 19th century, European explorers arrived in the region, particularly the British and the French. They showed interest in Krabi’s natural resources, including the abundance of rubber and other agricultural products. The Europeans established trading posts and introduced modern infrastructure to the area.
- Development and Expansion: During the early 20th century, Krabi experienced significant development and expansion. The discovery of abundant rubber plantations led to a boom in the local economy, attracting immigrants from nearby regions to work on the plantations. The rubber industry played a vital role in the growth of Krabi.
- World War II: Krabi, like other parts of Thailand, was occupied by Japanese forces during World War II. The region experienced hardships and economic challenges during this period.
- Tourism Development: In the 1970s, Krabi started to attract attention from travelers seeking untouched beaches and pristine natural beauty. The opening of Krabi Airport in 1999 further facilitated tourism growth, making it more accessible to visitors. The province’s unique limestone karsts, clear waters, and picturesque islands, such as Railay Beach and Phi Phi Islands, became popular tourist destinations.
- Sustainable Tourism: Over the years, there has been a focus on sustainable tourism practices in Krabi. Efforts have been made to preserve the region’s natural environment and protect its fragile ecosystems. Responsible tourism initiatives, including beach clean-ups, waste management programs, and conservation projects, aim to maintain the area’s beauty and ensure its long-term sustainability.
Today, Krabi is a thriving tourist destination, offering a wide range of activities and attractions for travelers. Its rich history, combined with its stunning natural landscapes, cultural heritage, and warm hospitality, make it an ideal place to explore, relax, and experience the beauty of southern Thailand.
Krabi Top Attractions and Best Places to Visit in Thailand
Situated in Southern Thailand east of the island of Phuket on the mainland, Krabi province has slowly but surely gained in popularity with tourists over the years. While it lacks the commercial glitz its competitor across the bay has, it has enough tourist services to people visitors happy, while providing space and a subdued atmosphere that its built-up neighbour lacks.
Begin your cultural exploration of the Krabi area by visiting the Tiger Cave Temple. Located within a cavern situated in a limestone karst, it isn’t an easy place to visit, as accessing requires an arduous climb up more than 1,200 steps.
Named for tiger paw prints which were found inside the cave where this wat was established, this temple is considered by locals to be the most sacred place in Krabi province. In addition to the cavern, a sizable Buddha statue and outstanding views over the surrounding areas are two additional reasons to endure the punishing climb. Try to arrive outside peak UV hours (early morning is best), and you’ll sweat and burn less on the way up and down.
Back in Krabi Town, Wat Kaew Ko Wararam is not only this settlement’s top temple, it also stands out the most compared to the modern downtown core. Clad in brilliant white, this wat is adorned with ornate decorations on its exterior., while its inner sanctum boasts an expertly painted blue mural surrounding a Buddha statue where locals leave offerings. Outside, you’ll find a garden with water features, along with a pair of flamboyant peacocks.
During your time in Krabi province, you’ll almost certainly pay Railay Beach a visit. On the way to the longtail boat ferries, you’ll pass through the seaside town of Ao Nang. While it is mostly home to a collection of souvenir shops and cheap restaurants and bars, you’ll also find the subtly beautiful Ao Nang Mosque here as well.
If you wish to tour the place, dress up – no shorts or exposed shoulders/chests allowed. Even if you don’t have time to see the interior of this place of worship, come by during the evening hours, as the building is lit up brilliantly after dark, and a food market in adjacent streets will give you a chance to sample the local halal cuisine.
Want to take home the specialities of Southern Thailand to friends and family? Massaman curry may not pack well in your checked luggage, but by taking some cooking classes during your time in Krabi, you’ll be able to reproduce the flavours you sampled here for your loved ones back home.
Within several hours, you’ll learn what ingredients are required to prepare some of the most common Thai dishes out there, and where they are procured in the region. With evening classes available from some schools, you won’t even have to set your alarm – excellent news for night owls!
Other Cultural Attractions: Trip to Krabi, Thailand
Virtually all tourists who go out of their way to visit Krabi have Railay Beach on their to-see list. A sandy peninsula walled off from the rest of the mainland by a mighty series of limestone karsts, access to this paradise is granted by longtail ferry boats which take visitors here from the beach at Ao Nang.
While it is possible to come here on a day trip, there are plenty of backpacker to luxury resorts which will allow you to remain here after the sun has set. While food, drinks, and accommodation here are nominally more expensive than the mainland, the added premium is worth the feeling of relaxation you’ll get by being here for days at a time.
There is more to this region than Railay Beach – take a boat tour to the outlying islands, and you’ll see the amazing beaches which few visitors to Ao Nang and Railay ever get to see.
The four islands tour is the most popular, as it takes you to Koh Poda, Koh Gai (named because of its resemblance to a chicken), Koh Mor, and Koh Tub. In each of these places, you’ll have small but lush islands ringed by fine white sand to yourself – don’t forget to bring a mask and snorkel!
With the presence of massive limestone karsts lording over Railay Reach, it is no wonder rock climbing has become so popular here. With nothing but ocean beneath climbers on many routes, many choose to scale without protective harnesses, as the sea below is more forgiving of mistakes than solid earth.
If you are a beginner, though, start off with ropes no matter where you climb, as landing wrong on water can result in serious injury.
Back on land, those looking to get amazing views of the Krabi area will want to head up the Hang Nak Nature Trail during their time in the region. Leave the flip-flops at home – this is a trek for those with proper hiking boots.
Bring plenty of water, hydrate often, and make your way slowly up to a dramatic viewpoint with sweeping views of Krabi Town and vicinity. With a rocky ledge with juts out above hundreds of feet of empty air, you’ll have an Instagram worthy photo opp to show off to your friends back home.
source: Dabble and Travel on YouTube
Top 55 Things To Do in Krabi, Thailand For Visitors
Here’s a detailed list of 55 things you can do in Krabi, Thailand:
- Visit Railay Beach: Explore the stunning Railay Beach, known for its crystal-clear waters, towering limestone cliffs, and picturesque views.
- Island Hopping: Embark on an island-hopping adventure and visit the breathtaking Phi Phi Islands, Hong Islands, or the Four Islands.
- Rock Climbing: Test your skills and climb the limestone cliffs of Railay or Tonsai, renowned as some of the best rock climbing spots in the world.
- Take a Longtail Boat Tour: Hop on a traditional longtail boat and embark on a tour to explore hidden lagoons, caves, and remote beaches.
- Explore Ao Nang: Discover the bustling resort town of Ao Nang, offering a wide range of accommodations, restaurants, and shops.
- Visit the Tiger Cave Temple (Wat Tham Sua): Climb the 1,237 steps to the summit of this temple for panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
- Enjoy a Sunset Cruise: Sail along the Andaman Sea and witness a breathtaking sunset on a leisurely cruise.
- Snorkeling and Diving: Explore the vibrant underwater world of Krabi through snorkeling or diving trips to witness colorful coral reefs and marine life.
- Relax on Phra Nang Beach: Spend a day lounging on the pristine shores of Phra Nang Beach, known for its stunning beauty and clear turquoise waters.
- Explore Thung Teao Forest Natural Park: Take a leisurely walk through the lush rainforest, visit the Emerald Pool, and marvel at the Crystal Lagoon.
- Kayaking in Ao Thalane: Paddle through the mangrove forests and limestone cliffs of Ao Thalane on a kayaking excursion.
- Visit the Hot Springs: Soak in the natural hot springs of Krabi, known for their therapeutic properties.
- Explore Krabi Town: Immerse yourself in the local culture by exploring the vibrant streets, markets, and temples of Krabi Town.
- Take a Thai Cooking Class: Learn the art of Thai cuisine by joining a cooking class and mastering the flavors and techniques of authentic Thai dishes.
- Visit the Klong Thom Hot Waterfall: Enjoy a soothing bath in the Klong Thom Hot Waterfall, a natural thermal spring surrounded by lush greenery.
- Go White Water Rafting: Experience the thrill of white water rafting in the rivers of Krabi, where you can navigate through rapids and enjoy the scenic surroundings.
- Explore the Krabi Night Markets: Wander through the lively night markets of Krabi, sampling local street food, shopping for souvenirs, and enjoying the vibrant atmosphere.
- Take a Jungle Trek: Embark on a guided jungle trek and discover the diverse flora and fauna of Krabi’s rainforests.
- Visit the Shell Fossil Cemetery: Explore the intriguing Shell Fossil Cemetery, a geological site displaying millions of years’ worth of fossilized shells.
- Enjoy a Thai Massage: Relax and rejuvenate with a traditional Thai massage, a therapeutic treatment that combines stretching and pressure techniques.
- Try Muay Thai: Join a Muay Thai training session and learn the ancient art of Thai kickboxing from experienced trainers.
- Sunset at Phra Nang Cave: Witness a stunning sunset at Phra Nang Cave Beach, where you can enjoy the golden hues reflecting off the limestone cliffs.
- Visit the Khao Khanab Nam Caves: Explore the iconic limestone caves that symbolize Krabi, featuring intricate stalactite formations and archaeological discoveries.
- Take a Speedboat Tour to James Bond Island: Explore the famous James Bond Island (Koh Tapu) on a speedboat tour, where you can marvel at the unique rock formation featured in the movie “The Man with the Golden Gun.”
- Experience a Floating Market: Visit the Klong Klonk Floating Market and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere as you shop for local goods and sample delicious street food.
- Sunset Kayaking in Bor Thor: Embark on a sunset kayaking adventure in the tranquil waters of Bor Thor, surrounded by stunning limestone karsts and hidden caves.
- Discover the Fossil Shell Beach: Explore the Fossil Shell Beach (Had Yao) and observe the fossilized seashells that cover the beach, creating a unique and fascinating sight.
- Take a Jungle Safari Tour: Join a jungle safari tour and explore the natural beauty of Krabi, including trekking, elephant encounters, and visiting local villages.
- Visit the Wat Kaew Korawaram: Discover the grandeur of Wat Kaew Korawaram, a prominent Buddhist temple in Krabi Town known for its beautiful architecture and peaceful atmosphere.
- Relax at Nopparat Thara Beach: Enjoy the serene ambiance of Nopparat Thara Beach, a peaceful and less crowded stretch of sand perfect for relaxation and sunbathing.
- Explore the Emerald Pool: Take a dip in the enchanting Emerald Pool (Sa Morakot), a natural hot spring surrounded by lush rainforest and vibrant green waters.
- Discover the Krabi Shell Cemetery: Visit the intriguing Krabi Shell Cemetery, an ancient burial site showcasing large fossilized shells embedded in rock formations.
- Experience the Krabi Elephant Sanctuary: Interact with rescued elephants at the Krabi Elephant Sanctuary, where you can observe these gentle giants in their natural habitat and learn about their conservation.
- Enjoy a Sunset Dinner Cruise: Indulge in a romantic sunset dinner cruise, where you can savor delicious Thai cuisine while admiring the stunning coastal scenery.
- Visit the Ban Bor Thor Archaeological Site: Explore the Ban Bor Thor Archaeological Site, an area rich in prehistoric cave paintings and artifacts that provide insights into the region’s ancient civilizations.
- Go Bird Watching in Khao Nor Chu Chi: Discover the diverse birdlife of Khao Nor Chu Chi Wildlife Sanctuary, a haven for bird enthusiasts where you can spot numerous species in their natural habitat.
- Take a Trip to Krabi Sea Shell Museum: Marvel at an extensive collection of intricately crafted sea shells and learn about their fascinating natural history at the Krabi Sea Shell Museum.
- Explore the Klong Jilad Mangrove Forest: Venture into the Klong Jilad Mangrove Forest on a guided tour, where you can observe the unique ecosystem and its resident wildlife, including monkeys and birds.
- Enjoy a Sea Kayaking Adventure: Embark on a sea kayaking expedition, paddling through mangrove forests, caves, and lagoons while appreciating the serenity of Krabi’s coastal scenery.
- Visit the Wat Sai Thai: Discover the cultural and architectural beauty of Wat Sai Thai, a Buddhist temple known for its intricate wood carvings and stunning golden interior.
- Sunset Yoga on the Beach: Join a beachside yoga session and practice as the sun sets, immersing yourself in the tranquility and natural beauty of the surroundings.
- Experience the Krabi Rainforest Discovery: Engage in an educational and immersive experience at the Krabi Rainforest Discovery Center, where you can learn about the region’s diverse ecosystems and participate in nature-focused activities.
- Take a Thai Boxing Lesson: Learn the art of Muay Thai through a training session or a lesson with experienced trainers, allowing you to experience the physical and cultural aspects of this traditional martial art.
- Sunset Viewpoint at Tab Kak Hang Nak Hill Nature Trail: Hike the Tab Kak Hang Nak Hill Nature Trail to reach the breathtaking viewpoint, offering panoramic vistas of Krabi’s coastline and islands as the sun sets.
- Explore the Krabi Shell Cemetery Museum: Gain insights into the geological history of the region and its fascinating shell fossils through interactive exhibits and displays at the Krabi Shell Cemetery Museum.
- Scenic Boat Ride along Krabi River: Take a leisurely boat ride along the scenic Krabi River, passing through mangrove forests, limestone cliffs, and local fishing villages.
- Visit the Khao Phanom Bencha National Park: Explore the Khao Phanom Bencha National Park, home to majestic waterfalls, diverse wildlife, and lush rainforests, offering opportunities for hiking and nature photography.
- Experience a Thai Fruit Buffet: Treat your taste buds to a Thai fruit buffet, where you can sample a wide variety of delicious tropical fruits, both familiar and exotic.
- Explore the Ao Luk Mangrove Forest: Embark on a guided tour through the Ao Luk Mangrove Forest, navigating the intricate network of canals and learning about the vital role mangroves play in the ecosystem.
- Visit the Wat Klong Thom Museum: Discover the ancient artifacts and historical relics housed within the Wat Klong Thom Museum, providing insights into the region’s rich cultural heritage.
- Take a Scenic Drive along the Krabi Coastal Road: Enjoy a scenic drive along the coastal road, which offers stunning vistas of the Andaman Sea, limestone cliffs, and picturesque beaches.
- Discover the Thara Park: Relax and unwind in the Thara Park, a peaceful green space in Krabi Town featuring walking paths, gardens, and a lake, perfect for picnics and leisurely strolls.
- Enjoy a Traditional Thai Dance Performance: Immerse yourself in Thai culture by watching a traditional dance performance, where performers showcase graceful movements and colorful costumes.
- Visit the Ao Luk Bat Cave: Explore the Ao Luk Bat Cave, home to thousands of bats, which you can observe as they emerge from the cave at sunset, creating a mesmerizing natural spectacle.
- Volunteer with Local Conservation Projects: Engage in meaningful activities by volunteering with local conservation projects, such as beach clean-ups, sea turtle conservation, or mangrove restoration initiatives, contributing to the preservation of Krabi’s natural environment.
These 55 activities provide a diverse range of experiences, allowing you to appreciate the natural beauty, cultural heritage, and adventurous spirit of Krabi, Thailand. Enjoy your journey and create lasting memories in this captivating destination.
Krabi Travel Guide: Final Thoughts
Krabi, Thailand, is an enchanting destination that caters to all types of travelers. With its stunning beaches like Railay Beach, where you can relax on pristine sands and soak up the sun, Krabi is a paradise for those seeking relaxation and natural beauty. The turquoise waters and towering limestone cliffs create a picturesque setting that will leave you in awe.
For adventure seekers, Krabi offers exhilarating rock climbing opportunities. The limestone cliffs in Railay and Tonsai are renowned as some of the best rock climbing spots in the world. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced climber, you’ll find routes suitable for your skill level, accompanied by breathtaking views as you ascend.
Don’t miss the chance to go island hopping and explore the captivating Phi Phi Islands. These idyllic islands are famous for their turquoise waters, vibrant coral reefs, and abundant marine life. Take a boat tour and snorkel in the crystal-clear waters, discovering a world of colorful fish and coral formations beneath the surface.
Immerse yourself in the local culture by visiting the vibrant night markets in Krabi. Sample delicious street food, from spicy noodles to grilled seafood, and browse through the stalls for unique souvenirs and handicrafts. The night markets offer a lively atmosphere with live music and entertainment, making it a delightful experience for all.
Indulge in the delectable local cuisine that blends bold flavors and fresh ingredients. From aromatic curries and tangy salads to sweet and savory snacks, Krabi’s culinary scene will tantalize your taste buds. Don’t forget to try the famous Thai dishes like pad Thai, green curry, and mango sticky rice.
Krabi’s warm hospitality and diverse range of experiences make it an unforgettable destination. Whether you’re seeking relaxation, adventure, or cultural immersion, Krabi has something for everyone. Remember to take care of the environment and practice sustainable tourism to help preserve the natural beauty of this remarkable destination. Plan your trip to Krabi and get ready for a journey filled with stunning landscapes, thrilling activities, and delightful culinary discoveries.