30 Photos that will make you want to visit Germany
A couple of years ago if you asked me what country in Europe would be one of my favorite places to visit, I’m not sure Germany would have made the shortlist. Two years later – with the hindsight of having now visited Germany three times – I can say with certainty that it is one of my favorite countries in all of Europe. Why do I like it so much? In a word – diversity. Few countries have as many fascinating cities to explore while also featuring many off-the-path destinations that are more rustic and rural. When it comes to culture and traditions Germany has a lot to offer. Whether you’re punting down the Spreewald or eating distinct regional cuisine you’ll find a new part of the country worth exploring every time you revisit. The following is a photo essay in which I attempt to encompass the top highlights from my three trips to Germany. I hope that it will inspire you not only to visit Germany but also to think about what type of adventure would best suit the travel experience you’re craving.
30 Photos that will inspire you to visit Germany
1) Gorgeous homes we spotted on a lovely day in Spreewald, Germany as we punted down the canals.
2) Fascinating tall narrow German architecture in the town square of Frankfurt, Germany.
3) Roller-coaster ride during sunset at Europa Park in Rust, Germany.
4) Regatta in the cultural town of Wustrow, Germany located in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
5) Views of the White Chalk cliffs in Jasmund National Park located on Ruegen Island, Germany.
6) Young man wearing sunglasses and juggling balls while sitting down in Mauerpark, in Berlin, Germany.
7) A crowd of lively German spectators cheering on participants of the Regatta in Wustrow, Germany.
8) Both doors of a Trabant (Former East German car) are open during this early morning shot of our e-Trabi prior to driving it around Ruegen Island, Germany.
9) Trees become the frame of this overhead perspective shot in Freiburg, Germany on an overcast day.
10) Delicious Bismark Herring sandwich that is unique to the town of Stralsund, Germany located in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
11) Cool stilt-house apartments for rent with scenic views and open door access to the water on Ruegen Island, Germany.
12) A giant traditional German windmill located on the property of an open-air museum located at Freilichtmuseum Klockenhagen.
13) Deep into the forested area of Spreewald during our punting session early in the morning – Spreewald, Germany.
14) A generous portion of delicious German Schnitzel (breaded pork cutlet) for lunch on a plate in Berlin, Germany.
15) A shot of the unique and stunning architecture that is a huge part of UNESCO Heritage in Stalsund, Germany.
16) You can easily find this type of traditional architecture (thatched roof) in Spreewald, Germany.
17) Nothing quite like relaxing on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon at Mauerpark – Berlin, Germany.
18) If you’re looking for a hearty meal while in Germany consider goulash, mashed potatoes, carrots and cranberry whipped cream.
19) A sassy street performer entertaining the crowds in the historic downtown area of Freiburg, Germany.
20) A trip to Germany is not complete without sampling local bread with generous amounts of butter slathered on top.
21) Nothing quite like riding a bicycle in the German countryside and stopping to take shots like this – Wustrow, Germany.
22) Penguins are a lot like cats. If you’ve got a tasty treat you have a new best friend 😉 – Spreewelten Lübbenau, Germany.
23) Graffiti is a huge part of the travel experience in Berlin, Germany.
24) A generous portion of fish and a massive potato smothered in a dill cream sauce is how I like to end my evening in Germany.
25) One of the most underrated places I visited while in Germany was the village of Wustrow.
26) This was one of my favorite shots from visiting Charlottenburg Palace in Berlin, Germany.
27) Fancy a sword or two? How about a whole set? These are the swords used for the Störtebeker Festspiele performance on Ruegen, Island.
28) Did you know German playing cards originated in Stralsund?
29) Nothing like a massive wurst on a bun to stave off hunger while roaming around Berlin, Germany.
30) Our favorite experience on our recent visit to Germany was to go punting down the Spreewald canals.
Have you visited Germany before? Is it a country you’re itching to visit? What are your some of your favorite regions and/or food/culture related things to do in Germany?